Happy 50th anniversary Woods Powr-Grip!
2014 was a major milestone in the history of vacuum lifting specialists Woods Powr-Grip as it has been 50 years since the company was set up in 1964 by Howard Wood at his workshop in Wolf Point, Montana.
As GGR Glass is an official UK dealer for Woods Powr-Grip products, we’re celebrating the 5 decades of vacuum lifting power they have brought to the world!
In 1964 Howard Wood started selling his hand cup invention in his auto electric repair shop. Here’s some other big events that happened in the same year...
- Some big celebrity names were born in 1964 including First Lady Michelle Obama, actor Nicolas Cage, actress Sandra Bullock, Mayor of London Boris Johnson and comedian Harry Hill.
- Beatlemania hit the USA as The Beatles had their first number one hit with “I Want To Hold Your Hand” and later held the top five positions on the Billboard 100 music chart. The Rolling Stones also released their debut album.
- BBC2 started broadcasting in the UK and the first episodes of Match Of The Day and Top Of The Pops were aired.
- Disney’s Mary Poppins premiered in Los Angeles whilst James Bond classic Goldfinger premiered in the UK.
- The Sun newspaper went into circulation and Roald Dahl’s Charlie & The Chocolate Factory was published.
- The first Ford Mustang car came off the assembly line.
- The UK’s first under cover shopping centre was opened, the £8 million Bullring in Birmingham.
Since it’s humbles beginnings in 1964, Woods Powr-Grip has grown into a global leader in vacuum lifting technology, developing hand cups, suction mounts, specialist lifting cups and glass vacuum lifters which are available to buy through GGR Glass.
So congratulations to the Woods Powr-Grip team on hitting the big 5-0! Find out more about the history of Woods Powr-Grip here.